In life, there are times when you can be thrown a curveball. Women who have suffered from breast cancer or perhaps other kinds of physical trauma may be looking to rebuild what they have lost. Dr. Prichard offers breast reconstruction to those looking to regain that feminine silhouette. With his skill and precision, you can rest assured that Dr. Prichard delivers some of the best breast reconstruction Phoenix has to offer.
Women who choose to undergo breast reconstruction note improved self-esteem, self-confidence, comfort and enhanced femininity. Your consultation is completely personalized, taking into account all of your medical needs and personal preferences. This will help you and Dr. Prichard determine exactly which procedure is most fitting to your needs.
Types of breast reconstruction
We offer a wide variety of breast reconstruction methods. A few methods are listed below:
- Tissue Expander/Implant Reconstruction: In this technique, a balloon-like expander is placed under the chest muscle and gradually filled with saline over several weeks to expand the skin and soft tissue. The expander is ultimately replaced with a silicone or saline breast implant like those used during breast augmentation in Scottsdale.
- Direct-to-Implant Reconstruction: This is a single-stage reconstruction in which a breast implant is placed immediately after a mastectomy.
- Flap-Based Reconstruction: In all flap procedures, tissue from one area of your body, such as the abdomen or back, is transferred with its blood supply to your breast area to recreate a breast that feels, looks and moves more naturally than an implant. This approach has the benefit of bringing healthy tissue and blood flow to the compromised areas at the mastectomy site. DIEP flap reconstruction offers the benefits of other flap procedures along with added advantages, including soft tissue and muscle preservation.
Reconstruction may be performed at the same time as a mastectomy, or any following time. Breast reconstruction is often covered by medical insurance for women who have had partial or complete mastectomies due to cancer or other health reasons. In fact, federal law requires health insurance providers to cover such treatments as:
- Breast cancer treatment
- Breast reconstruction after mastectomy
- Cosmetic surgery on the unaffected breast to provide symmetry
Most breast reconstruction patients spend a few days in the hospital after surgery. Recovery time will be based on several factors--for example, if the procedure is performed immediately following your mastectomy or if it was postponed to a later date. Whether an implant or your own tissue is used will be another factor. Patients who elect implant-based reconstruction typically need between 2 to 3 weeks of recovery. By comparison, recovery for flap-based reconstruction is approximately 6 to 8 weeks. After any type of breast reconstruction, you can schedule an appointment to have the nipples and areolas restored a few months from your final breast reconstructive procedure.
During your consultation
Dr. Prichard will discuss all your needs and requirements regarding breast reconstruction. Together, the two of you will come up with a surgical plan that is specially designed for your figure. Dr. Prichard provides each patient with a level of care and attention that makes him one of the best surgeons performing breast reconstruction Phoenix can offer.
Schedule a Consultation
If you would like to learn more about breast reconstruction in Scottsdale, request a consultation online. Or if you’d rather, you are more than welcome to call the office directly, and one of our staff members can assist you.Schedule now